Hands up if you love Christmas?! 🙋🙋🙋
Christmas has always been an exciting time of the year for me and as I’ve grown older it hasn’t got any less magical. Yes, things have changed a lot and instead of receiving presents I now love to buy, wrap and give gifts to my family and friends!
One of the things that makes Christmas for me is, of course, the food.
I’m a massive foodie all year round and have the biggest sweet tooth! Yes, I try to keep it in check but there’s simply no denying it, especially around this time of year. In fact you’ll probably find me for most of Christmas day face down in a family sized tub of roses after already devouring a full tub of celebrations (well, the good ones at least). However, in the run up to Christmas I do try to bake some healthier treats to stop me binging from November through to February (once I start I just can’t stop – sound familiar?) and this year has been no different.
A few years ago on this blog I made some Paleo/vegan Christmas cookies and they are still one of my favourite My Big Fit Recipes which I revisit ever year.
Now I have to be honest and say they will never replace a real biscuit laden with sugar and covered in chocolate – so if that’s what you truly crave, go for it. But they certainly do help to satisfy my sweet tooth especially with a good brew on a cold winters evening.
The Gingerbread Men are full of my favourite spices and, like regular biscuits, they’ve a great crunch to them and go down best dunked into your favourite cuppa.
So, if you’re looking for a little festive nibble without the sugar coma this year, make sure you check out my Healthier Gingerbread Man recipe below.
You will need:
- 1.5 Cups Almond Flour (or Ground Almonds sieved)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger and a pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted Coconut Oil (cooled)
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- pinch salt
- Dark Chocolate buttons
What to do:
- Sieve Ground Almonds, Tapioca flour, Coconut flour, spices & Baking soda
- Add Coconut Oil, maple syrup, and vanilla essence.
- Add pinch salt.
- Hand mix well and bring together in a ball
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the mixture in between 2 pieces of cling film and rest in the fridge for 10-20 mins to firm
- Preheat oven to 175°c (350)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Remove dough from fridge, take off the cling film and cut into gingerbread men
- Bake on the parchment paper for 10 mins (keep an eye on them as they may burn)
- Before they’ve completely cooled, add 3 chocolate buttons down the centre, these will melt slightly to stick to the biscuits
- Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack
If you don’t have Tapioca flour, you can add another tbsp of coconut flour but they will be slightly dryer (and crunchier!).
If you’re feeling slightly more creative you could melt some chocolate and drizzle on like my previous version here.
As always, let me know if you make any of my recipes in the comments below. And don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram!