When life gives you brown bananas, you make banana bread – am I right?
I’m not proud of it but I spent so many years throwing out brown banana’s as I thought they were bad. As soon as they turned ever so slightly brown they would be straight in the bin. That was until I discovered banana bread!
It’s gooey, totally delicious and you feel a bit healthier knowing that it has fruit in (even if it is paired with chocolate!). It’s so simple to make requiring only a handful of ingredients; most of which you probably have in your cupboards already – I know I did.
Now, as I’m sure you’ve guessed, my version isn’t full of sugar, butter & refined flours; it’s actually pretty healthy & if you take out the chocolate chips (if you’re crazy that is!) then you could even have yourself a delicious breakfast snack for on the go. I wouldn’t recommend it over a nutritious bowl of oats or eggs and avo but it’s perfect for those mornings when you just need to grab something on the go…I wouldn’t judge you (in fact, that’s what I did this morning).
So how did I make this delicious, health(ier) take on your traditional banana bread?
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups traditional oats
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (or half if you’re feeling indulgent) dark choc chips
- Pre-heat oven to 180°
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper
- Mash bananas in a large bowl
- Add maple syrup
- Add vanilla essence & stir
- Crack eggs into mixture & combine
- Grind oats in Nutribullet (or similar) until you can a flour like consistency
- Add oats, baking soda & cinnamon into banana mixture & fold
- Finally add choc chips & mix
- Pour your mixture into tin
- Slice some more banana & layer on the top if you’re feeling fancy
- Bake for 30-40minutes or until knife comes out clean
It really is that simple – you can’t go wrong!
I’d love to know if you recreate this, so tag me in any images on Instagram or Twitter, or let me know in the comments below.