Call me stupid, but until I became a fully fledged member of the fitfam I didn’t know quite how versatile pumpkin was. Yes, I’d heard of good ole Pumpkin pie but that was the extent of my knowledge…
(I know, what had I been doing all my life – I mean PSL!)
Now, if you’re reading this from the UK, you’ll probably get where I’m coming from but in the US, pumpkin is no joke.
Our friends across the Atlantic have pumpkin spiced oatmeal, pumpkin spiced Oreos, pumpkin spiced Pop Tarts, pumpkin spiced candy, pumpkin spiced Pringles, pumpkin spiced dog treats, pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin… the list goes – most of which is definitely not paleo.
My number one pumpkin treat has to be pumpkin pie – generally, I’m not a fan of all things pastry but this paleo version is different. Adapted from Libbys Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe and made from just a handful of ingredients it couldn’t be easier…
For the crust:
- 1.5 cup Ground Almonds
- 3 tbsp Coconut Flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil softened
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 1 tin pumpkin (425g puree) – I used this
- 2 eggs – lightly beaten
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- Pour ground almonds, coconut flour & a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- Add softened coconut oil and rub mixture between fingers until combined.
- Add your egg, mix and knead into a ball.
- Lightly grease your pie dish with more coconut oil
- You don’t need to roll out the crust, simply press the mixture down into your pie dish making sure to go up the sides.
- Blind bake in the oven for 10-15mins, then allow to cool
- While the crust is cooling, add all filling ingredients into a bowl and mix well
- Add this to your cooled crust
- Bake for 40-45mins
- Leave to set for 2 hours before serving
Whats your favourite pumpkin flavoured food?
Let me know if you make my recipe and don’t forget to follow me on Instragram @mybigfitdiary_ & Twitter @mybigfitdiary