I don’t normally do ‘update’ posts (don’t worry it does finish with a mouthwatering recipe) but I have had such a lovely birthday weekend that I thought I’d share.
It all started with a trip to London with my bestie Steph and a long awaited visit to the Harry Potter studio tour, which was bitter sweet with Alan Rickman’s death hitting the news (RIP Hans) but it was bags of fun non the less. With a magical journey to Platform 9 3/4, a green screen ride in a flying car, a glass of butter beer and some tasty (and some not so tasty) Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans. After that it was time to check in to our accommodation and head out for a pub dinner – hello fish and chips, red wine and a very British game of Scrabble (and I’m not even 30 yet).
Friday saw an impromptu lie in and a missed breakfast. So instead we met our friend Grace from All Scone Bakery and headed to The Good Life Eatery which – thanks to the Instagram critics – didn’t disappoint. I had Vegan Walnut Mince and Sweet Potato whilst my friends tucked into a yummy looking chicken salad and vegan muffin… of course I had to take a picture of them all!!
We then headed for a day of shopping – including a long and costly trip to Jo Malone – followed by Afternoon Tea and a night out in Islington sponsored by Tequila cocktails.
Unfortunately I had my phone stolen out of my bag whilst we were out – so I just want to apologise for the lack of Instagram updates (don’t unfollow, I’ll be back!) hopefully I will get a new phone sorted soon (once I part with £100… Wahhh!).
Saturday was a chilled morning at Borough Market with my friend Hayley and the most amazing Pie and Mash from Pieminister which included Goats cheese, sweet potato & spinach pie (the inspiration behind this recipe), mash, minted peas, gravy and onion and a leisurely walk down the Thames.
It was so nice to visit London and be a bit of a tourist for once, usually it’s a fly in visit for work or for a boozy night celebrating a friends birthday, but this time was all about us (Oh, and lets not forget the cheeky visit to WholeFoods… because, why not?!?).
Having my phone stolen was a bit of a downer on the weekend but I definitely didn’t let it spoil things. Having worried about all my recipe ideas I had stored in my notes, I was glad to find that the cloud had my back and all the yummy ideas I’d had whilst I was down in London were on my Mac Book waiting to be made. So Sunday saw a trip to the shops and a basket full of sweet potato, goats cheese and spinach, ready to make my… Sweet Potato, Goats Cheese and Spinach Tart.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet (pre rolled)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or honey, normal sugar)
- 2-3 large handfuls spinach
- 50g goats cheese
- 10-12 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Chipotle flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180degrees
- Boil sweet potato until cooked but firm, drain
- Whilst potato is cooking, sweat off onions in oil and coconut sugar, add spinach, cumin & paprika and wilt.
- Put pastry on a baking tray and score an inch border with a sharp knife before cooking for 5mins
- Take out of the oven and add potato, onion mixture, sliced tomatoes, goats cheese and chipotle - making sure you leave the border empty
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook for 15-20mins or until baked
- You can swap the spices here for anything you fancy, rosemary or sage would be nice
- Enjoy with a side salad and some mashed avocado.